Pulau Perhentian

Pulau Perhentian

Landing Away in Tokyo...- Tokyo - Japan


After an 11 hours flight from Europe I have finally landed in Tokyo, Japan.
I must confess that apart from the standard cliches, (Sumo wrestling, Samurai, Karate,Toyota, Lost in Translation...) I didn't know much about this country. For a Western European, Japan is really far away. So, the possibility to spend 11 months living here was unquestionably a once in a life time chance!


After only a few days I have felt overwhelmed. Why? Because this country is different from most of the countries that I have visited. Tokyo is a very big city with millions of inhabitants, but what impressed me the most was the inner calm that it reflects. Old Temples next to modern buildings in an adequate balance. People walk orderly, talk quietly (certainly quietly than the Italians), are polite and in general don't make eye contact or stare. There are a lot of rituals in the way the Japanese interact and to master these rituals is a challenge for any foreigner. My aim is not to master the Japanese social rituals, being here, having the chance to walk in these streets, eat their amazing food, learn about their culture, absorb its character is my simple and unambitius intend.
 
Landing Away in Tokyo

No comments: